Six hundred and three repentant Boko Haram fighters are to return to their respective communities next month on completion of a De-radicalization, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DDR) programme, the Defence Headquarters said on Thursday.
The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations (DMO), Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, who disclosed this at a press conference in Abuja, said the DDR programme coordinated by the DHQ under Operation Safe Corridor (OPSC), had recorded huge success since its inception in 2016.
He noted that 893 ex-combatants were enrolled for the programme out of which 280 including two Chadians had been successfully reintegrated into the society through their respective national and state authorities. “Presently, there are 603 of them undergoing the DRR Programme and would be graduating by July 2020. The Operation is a success story as feedbacks from those reintegrated are positive. A particular one in Bama who learnt barbing as a vocation has successfully empowered four locals and is happily married with children”.
Enenche, who explained that the concept of OPSC was a unique non-kinetic operation aimed at giving hope to ex-combatants who had willingly surrendered their arms to embrace peace, noted the operation was guided by provisions of international humanitarian and human rights laws.
He said the programme was driven by 468 personnel drawn from 17 organisations, including the armed forces, law enforcement and security agencies, as well as Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of the Federal Government, in collaboration with local and international Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs).
While urging the public to shun misinformation about the programme, Enenche said it was part of efforts to end insurgency in the North East.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]